Monday, September 26, 2016

TRAVEL RESEARCH

I would love to be able to travel!  That, of course, was going to be one of those things I was going to do when I retired.  Now that I am here I can't afford it or is that an excuse because I don't want to travel alone?

What ever the excuse....I am not traveling.  So, I have decided to do my traveling via the internet.  I am in hopes you will find some interest in traveling along with me!

I have a fascination with covered bridges...hmmm!  I wonder if that stems from a time when my family was living way out in the country and we had to cross an uncovered wooden bridge across a creek to get to town.  One fine winter day when the bridge was extremely slippery the car lost its footing and went slippery sliding to the side of the bridge.  Half way over the edge that car up and changed it's mind and just teetered there...half on and half off the bridge.  My parents, brother and I all managed to get out of the car without rocking it over the edge.  Then we had the pleasure of listening to my father convince that car that it was the much safer on the bridge.

Back to my exploratory adventure with "covered' bridges.

Did you know that at one time there were 600 covered bridges in the state of Oregon?  The majority of them were built between 1905 and 1925.  By 1977 there were only 56 and currently only 51.  There are very few covered bridges left that are open to automobile travel.  Most are open for pedestrian and bike travel only.  

For today's journey, come along with me just a short jog up the road to the Gallon House bridge,  The Gallon House bridge was constructed in 1916 to cross  Abiqua Creek.  It is the last functioning covered bridge in Marion County. 

The Gallon House bridge was constructed during the days of prohibition so it not only served as a  means of crossing the creek to get from Silverton to Mt Angel.  It seems that Silverton was a 'dry' community and Mt Angel was 'wet'.  Mt Angel was basically a Catholic community with German heritage who brought with them to this country their love and know how of making fine brew.  Thus the bridge was named "Gallon House" for the gallons of brew that was bought and sold.

Mt Angel still keeps that German/Catholic heritage going strong.  On your next trip to see me we can take a trip to visit the Gallon House and other interesting historical sites in the area.  Without the brew!

Till then,  Happy Traveling!  

L&H's    

No comments:

Post a Comment